Sunday, January 4, 2009

They're Here!!!!!!!

On January 3rd, the boys decided to arrive. They did not give much warning and seemed quite anxious to be with us. My water broke just before midnight and not long after contractions started. By the time we arrived at the hospital, I was already dilated to 9 cm and in A LOT of pain. I begged for an epidural, which they tried numerous times to give me, but the anesthesiologist just could not get it in the correct spot. Finally, I realized Caleb wanted OUT. He was born at 2:44 am (less than 3 hrs after my water had broken). I got to rest for a few minutes, then they attempted the epidural again, due in part to not knowing if Luke was going to cooperate and get into position, in which case I would have needed c-section. After numerous more failed attempts (i felt like a pin cushion) the contractions started again, as did the feeling that Luke was ready to be born. Finally, he got the epidural in and told me it would take about 15 minutes to work. I knew I didn't have that long. As soon as I laid down, Luke's water broke and a minute or two later he came FLYING out (3:24 AM). (The epidural did help with the pain AFTER they were born :)

Caleb weighed 5 lbs 15 oz and is 19 1/2 inches long. Luke weighed 5 lbs 10 oz. and is 19 1/4 inches long. Big babies for being born at 35 weeks.

Right away, the doctors began giving Luke extra attention. It was obvious he was having difficulties with his breathing. Caleb, however, seemed to be doing fine and we were able to hold him for a while.

Luke was whisked away to NICU and we have not been able to hold him yet. His breathing is very labored and his lungs are quite premature. He does not respond well to sound, light or touch, so our visits with him are very brief. They have him on a nose canule (sp?) as well as in an oxygen bubble. Currently, they are also giving him IV fluids. He has also shown some cardiac issues which I don't completely understand. It seems that along with a murmur, there are some vessels that should be closed but are open, due to his prematurity. There are also some places where there is bidirectional flow and he has pulmonary hypertension. This information all came after an echocardiogram and they said they will do another in 2-3 days. They did say his heart looks better that they had originally thought and that most if not all of these issues should correct themselves as he grows and matures.

As I said before, Caleb was allowed to stay with us for a while. We were able to hold him for a bit, until the nurse noticed he was struggling a bit to breathe. They took him to the regular nursery to be monitored. After a couple of hours, they decided he would do better in the NICU as well. HIs breathing issues are much milder than Luke's. He also has an IV and a nasal canule, but is receiving less oxygen than Luke. I was finally able to hold him again around 1 this morning, which was nice.

The doctors say the soonest either baby will come home is in about a week, but either could be here up until there due date, which is in 5 weeks. It is very difficult to not be able to hold and feed them right now, but we are crying out to the Lord in our time of need.

Please pray that the boys would gain strength and maturity in their lungs quickly and that Luke's cardiac issues would clear up. Please also pray that we would be able to touch and bond with Luke soon, as it is not possible to do so yet. Lastly, please pray that we would be open to learning what God would want to do in us and through us during this time. We want to be a light to the NICU staff and other parents and we want to hear from the Lord.

I will update as they give us more information. Thank you for your prayers.

10 comments:

Libby said...

marie, thank you for the update! We are praying for you, especially, that God would give you much grace as you care for your new little ones-even if that care isn't exactly as you had pictured. Praying that any fear would be laid at His feet and thanksgiving would fill your heart. He has been good thus far, and that gives hope that He will be as you walk through this time. I love you!

Leanne said...

Praying for you, especially during this time! Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

what a birth story! i have been praying for you and the babies. thanks for taking the time to keep us posted. you are amazing.

Anonymous said...

We are praying for your little guys especially that God would strengthen their lungs and help Luke with his cardiac issues. May His grace and peace abound and may you rest in His loving arms.
We love you and your family!
Jim and Daryl

Glen Smith said...

I guess you never did get to bed on Friday night. I couldn't believe it when Glen told me the boys were born! Sounds like it all happened so fast. I am sorry you can't cuddle with both the boys yet, I know how hard that is. I am praying for quick healing for you and that both Luke and Caleb will be able to come home soon.
Katrine
PS:I will drop TJ home on Monday.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I know you wanted to wait a bit longer until you had the boys, but they really wanted out, huh?? A bit crammed, I supposed. I will be praying for their growing health. Thank God for drs. and NICU! He is good.

Anonymous said...

We are all offering special prayers for Luke and Caleb. Olivia last night said an extra prayer herself, also. Ben and I also offered our grace from receiving communion today up to Luke and Caleb. I'm sure your faith will endure and God's love and greatness will hold and keep Caleb, Luke and all of you in his arms and care. We love you all and will continue to keep you in our prayers. If you don't read this till Monday, "Happy Birthday to you" Let me know anything, anytime I can do for you. Love to you,
Aunt Linda, and all

Anonymous said...

congratulations Marie!!!!

love, Beth

Anonymous said...

Marie-
Congratulations on your little miracles. We are praying for you and the boys! I can tell you from experience that little munchkins named Luke are fighters and have strong spirits!
Dani, Jon and Luke

Tara-- said...

Marie--I've been reading your blog ever since I ran into you at Target a few months back. I am so happy to hear that boys have arrived. Congratulations!! I'll continue to pray that their little bodies strengthen every day and that you will feel a peace in your heart as you wait to bring them home. Can't wait to see pictures of your little sweeties.